John Cena is one of the world’s most famous professional wrestlers, mostly known for You Can’t See Me entrance song in WWE.
Aside from being a wrestler, Cena is an actor and used to be a rapper in his late 20s/early 30s.
John Cena is well-known for playing the DC character “Peacemaker” (A man who fights for peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it) in the 2021 film “The Suicide Squad” and the 2022 TV series named after the character “Peacemaker.”
In addition to his career as a rapper, he released his first studio album, “You Can’t See Me,” through WWE Music Group and Columbia Records on May 10, 2005.
The album “You Can’t See Me” currently serves as his only album to be released to date.
Nevertheless, the former rapper collaborated with American rapper Wiz Khalifa to release the songs “All Day” and “Breaks” as Soundtracks for the 2015 video game WWE 2K15.
|Full Name||John Felix Anthony Cena|
|Age||46 years old|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1977|
|Place of Birth||West Newbury, Massachusetts|
|Profession||Wrestler, Actor & Former Rapper|
|Parents||Father: John Joseph Cena |
Mother: Carol Cena
|Siblings||4 brothers (Dan, Matt, Steve, and Sean)|
|Ex-wife||Elizabeth HuHuberdea (m. 2009; div. 2012)|
|Billed Weight||114 kg |
|Net Worth||$80 Million|
John Cena was born on April 23, 1977, in West Newbury, Massachusetts, USA.
His mom “Carol Cena” is of English and French-Canadian background, while his dad “John Joseph Cena” has Italian roots and used to be a ring announcer for Chaotic Wrestling.
His family had a baseball player in it, his grandpa Tony Lupien, and his great-grandpa Ulysses J. Lupien was a businessman.
He’s one of five brothers: Dan, Matt, Steve, and Sean. As a kid, he loved wrestling and made cardboard championship belts for himself and his brothers.
He was raised Roman Catholic but had a tough time in school, getting teased and bullied, so he asked for a weightlifting bench when he was just 12.
He started his education at Central Catholic High School in Lawrence, Massachusetts, but then moved to Cushing Academy, a private boarding school in Ashburnham, Massachusetts.
Later, he went to Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts. He played football there and was a captain, becoming an NCAA Division III All-American center.
In 1999, he finished his studies at Springfield College, graduating with a degree in exercise physiology and body movement.
John Cena started training for professional wrestling in 1999. He went to a place called Ultimate Pro Wrestling’s (UPW) Ultimate University, which was run by Rick Bassman.
At first, he wrestled at local flea markets. Later, he got a role in the ring, and he used a character called The Prototype, which was like a half-robot character.
Some of this time was shown on the Discovery Channel in a program called Inside Pro Wrestling School.
In April 2000, he became the UPW Heavyweight Champion for 27 days. He continued to wrestle for UPW until March 2001.
John Cena had his first unofficial match when he lost to the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in October 2000. In this match, he fought under the name “The Prototype.”
He tried out for WWF again in January and March 2001. In 2001, he signed a contract to develop his wrestling skills with WWF and joined Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW).
While in OVW, he used the name The Prototype and held the OVW Heavyweight Championship and the OVW Southern Tag Team Championship.
In early 2002, Cena took part in WWF shows, facing other wrestlers like Shelton Benjamin and Tommy Dreamer.
He got called up to the main roster in June 2002, but he still appeared on OVW shows until he lost a match in September and left. In November, he briefly appeared in OVW as Mr. P in a tag team match.
Cena’s move to the main roster marked his inclusion in OVW’s Class of 2002, which included future stars like Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, and Batista, and they became known as the “OVW 4.”
John Cena’s acting career started with a movie called “The Marine” in 2006, which made some money at the box office. He did more movies like “12 Rounds” in 2009 and “Legendary” in 2010.
He also appeared in a children’s film called “Fred: The Movie.” After that, he appeared in various comedies and dramas, like “Trainwreck,” “Sisters,” and “Daddy’s Home.”
He also did some voice acting for animated films. In 2019, he joined the “Fast and Furious” franchise in “F9” as Jakob Torreto and later played the role of Peacemaker in the 2021 film “The Suicide Squad.”
He continued to act in films like “Fast X” and voiced a character in “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem.” So, besides wrestling, he’s been busy in the world of movies.
Before transitioning into acting, John Cena was a rapper. He recorded several songs for WWE, including “Basic Thuganomics” and “Untouchables.”
He even released an album called “You Can’t See Me” with his cousin Tha Trademarc.
Some of his well-known songs include “The Time is Now” and “Bad, Bad Man.” Cena also collaborated with other artists, like The Perceptionists and T-Boz.
In 2014, he worked with rapper Wiz Khalifa on songs for the WWE 2K15 video game soundtrack.
In 2022, Cena performed a piano version of Mötley Crüe’s “Home Sweet Home” for the Peacemaker soundtrack. So, besides wrestling and acting, he’s also been involved in the music industry.
Awards & Nominations
- In 2017, John Cena was honored with the CinemaCon Award for “Action Star of the Year,” a recognition of his impressive contributions to the action genre.
- The same year, he was also nominated for the Teen Choice Awards in the “Choice Male Athlete” category, acknowledging his prowess in the world of sports and entertainment.
- In 2018, John Cena received a nomination for the People’s Choice Awards as “The Comedy Movie Star of 2018” for his role in the film “Blockers.”
- In 2019, he was again nominated, this time for the Teen Choice Awards in the “Choice Action Movie Actor” category for his performance in “Bumblebee.”
- John Cena’s talents expanded to hosting as he received a nomination for the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in 2020 as the “Favorite TV Host” for the show “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?”
- In 2022, Cena earned a Critics’ Choice Super Award nomination for “Best Actor in a Superhero Movie” for his role in “The Suicide Squad.”
- The same year, he received a nomination at the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards as “Favorite Movie Actor” for his part in “F9: The Fast Saga.”
- John Cena’s comedic skills were recognized with a nomination at the 2022 MTV Movie & TV Awards in the category of “Best Comedic Performance” for his role in “Peacemaker.”
- His work in “Peacemaker” also earned him a nomination at the 2022 Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards for “Best Actor in a Streaming Series, Comedy.”
- In 2023, John Cena continued to impress as he received another Critics’ Choice Super Award nomination, this time for “Best Actor in a Superhero Series” for his role in “Peacemaker.”
Who is John Cena’s Wife?
John Cena has been with many women in the past, including some top women from wrestling like Nikki Bella, Mickie James, and Kelly Kelly.
Out of those encounters, two resulted in marriages, and out of those two marriages (his first), one ended in divorce.
Currently, the 46-year-old actor and pro wrestler is currently married to his wife Shay Shariatzadeh. The couple tied the knot on October 12, 2020, in Tampa, Florida.
In John Cena’s height measurement, he is often billed in professional wrestling as 6 feet 1 inch tall (185 cm) by the wrestling promotion.
In terms of weight, John Cena is a heavyweight, weighing around 250 pounds (113 kilograms).
This weight is consistent with the typical stature of professional wrestlers, who tend to have well-built and muscular physiques to perform in the ring.
His body measurements include a chest of 50 inches, a waist of around 36 inches, and a biceps with a circumference of about 19 inches.